Around here we try to not waste leftovers. Often they’ll just cover lunches for the next couple of days or sometimes we’ll use the leftovers to make something else (mashed potatoes into potato cakes for instance). Country Sausage Casserole is a recipe I guarantee will never be one of those mystery Tupperware containers hiding in the back of the fridge.
The recipe has two parts and the ingredients are simple. To start you cut up smoked sausage, potatoes, carrots, onions, and broccoli (if you’re using fresh, frozen also works fine):
Heat olive oil in a deep skillet on medium to medium-high heat, then add the smoked sausage and fry until it browns. Add in the carrots for 3 minutes to give them a head start, then add the rest of the vegetables. Add a cup of water then cover to steam/simmer until the vegetables are tender:
While the vegetables are cooking mix the Half & Half and the shredded cheese in a medium saucepan:
Use a silicon whisk to stir it constantly to keep from scorching. When all the cheese has melted and it is bubbly, remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper at this time.
Once the vegetables are tender most of the water should have boiled away. If it hasn’t, cook off the rest of the water then add the cheese sauce. Stir to coat the vegetables then cook on medium for another 5 minutes.
Let the casserole rest in the skillet for 3-5 minutes to thicken, then serve hot!
We enjoyed Country Sausage Casserole for dinner this past week, let us know what you think!
Country Sausage Casserole
- 1 package Smoked Sausage, cut into 1/2″ slices
- 3 cups Potatoes, sliced into 1/2″ pieces
- 2 cups Carrots, cut into strips
- 2 cups Onion, cut into slices
- 1 16 oz. bag of Frozen Broccoli -or- 3 cups Fresh Broccoli, cut into 2-3″ pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Half & Half
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cut up vegetables as directed in ingredients.
- Heat Olive Oil in deep skillet on medium-high heat. Add smoked sausage and brown both sides.
- Add carrots and cook for three minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in rest of vegetables, then add water. Place a lid on the skillet to steam. Turn heat down to medium.
- In a saucepan heat Half & Half and Cheese on medium-high heat, stirring constantly to prevent scorching, until cheese is melted and the mixture is thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once vegetables are tender and water has boiled off, add sauce to vegetables and stir to coat. Cook an additional three minutes, then remove from heat and let rest for five minutes. Serve hot.
Tip: If you’re trying to lower carbs this recipe can be modified by replacing the potatoes with frozen or fresh cauliflower!