No one can resist these Chicken Enchiladas straight from the oven. Melted cheese on top, crispy tortilla edges, a creamy filling bursting with a variety of flavors, then add your favorite toppings and you have a dinner fit for even the pickiest eaters. They’re also quick and easy to make!
First you start with your filling ingredients:
Mix 1 cup of the cheese, 1/4 cup of the salsa, the onions, the bell pepper, the cumin, and the cream cheese together in a large mixing bowl. Once those are combined, add the chicken and stir to combine. A rubber spatula works great for this.
Once it is all mixed together microwave your tortillas for 30-40 seconds, just enough to make them soft, but not tough. Then spread about a quarter cup of the filling along the middle of each tortilla. A 1 tablespoon scoop works great for this. (If you don’t have one, you can get one here on Amazon. They are great for all kinds of things. Get them in different sizes too!) If you are using a 1 tablespoon scoop, 5 scoops fill the tortilla perfectly.
Once you have the filling in the center, roll them up, then place the enchiladas seam side down in a greased 9″x13″ pan. Cover with the remaining salsa then sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
Bake in a 350ºF oven for 20-30 minutes or until the edges start to crisp up.
Remove from the oven and serve them while they are still piping hot! We serve them with sour cream, lettuce, guacamole, cucumbers, and tomatoes when they’re in season!
If you’re a fan of Mexican food I think you’ll love this recipe! It’s also great to make ahead of time. Make it up to a day ahead of time then bake when you’re ready to eat.
- 3 cups cooked, shredded Chicken
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheese (we use a combination of Co-Jack and Cheddar)
- 8 oz. softened Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Salsa
- 1/2 cup diced Green Onions
- 1/2 cup diced Bell Pepper (any color combination)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 8-10 Flour Tortillas (7″-8″ size)
- Toppings: Shredded Lettuce, Tomatoes, Sour Cream, Guacamole, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease 9×13 baking pan.
- Add 1 cup of cheese, cream cheese, 1/4 cup salsa, bell pepper, onion, and cumin to large mixing bowl. Stir with rubber spatula until ingredients are well combined.
- Add chicken and stir to combine.
- Microwave tortillas for 30-45 seconds or until soft. Do not overcook.
- Spread 1/4 cup of mixture into each tortilla and roll. Place in pan, seam side down. Repeat until all tortillas are used up.
- Spoon remaining salsa over tortillas then sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until edges of tortillas begin to turn golden brown.
- Serve hot with your choice of toppings.